Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.

I have a 61 corvette w/ a 62 327 recently rebuilt 40 over.

Customer Question

I have a 61 corvette w/ a 62 327 recently rebuilt 40 over. has a new alum rad, new water pump, 180 tstat. The cam is a comp cam. I am having a over heating problem. I installed a spacer between the carb and the manifold to stop the gas from boiling when I shut the engine down. The engine on the high way heats up to 220. I also but in AC in the car with an electric fan. Also has the mechanical one running off the water pump. The car also has and HEI distributor. Timing is set at 10 degrees. Any suggestions?
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: The engine has been completely rebuilt board 40 over, essentially 0 miles since the rebuild. it is a 327
JA: What year is your Corvette?
Customer: 1961
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have put in water wetter which seemed to help some. I have removed the AC condenser in front and removed the electric fan thinking that reduced the air flow. Changed out the tstat from 180 to 165. replace the spark plugs with stock ones rated for the engine. The valves are 1.94 stainless steel wit h SS seats, 10 -1 compression
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The engine has an alum intake with edelbrock carb 1406, manual 4 spd. The car was a complete nut to bolt restoration
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Classic Car Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Don replied 3 months ago.

morning my name is don i will try to hep you on this

a couple of questions

how big is your rad example 2 core 3core 4core