Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  Heavy Line Mech-, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.

Customer Question

Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 4 months ago.

By "compressor", you are referring to the A/C correct?

Belt has to be pretty tight on these..........
Did you replace any other A/C Parts?
What happened to the first one?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The first one was working and just locked up. Then I purchased a remanufactured A/C compressor and it was all going well until I went to charge it and it was blowing cold and then it made a terrible noise when the clutch engaged. I thought possibly the compressor was bad. So I purchased a brand new one and it did the same awful noise. If I turn the ignition on without motor running and hook up harness the clutch pulls in. I did not replace any other parts.

How did you "flush the system"?
or did you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I flushed out the high pressure line and the condensor and line coming out. I also put a screen in the low pressure side
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
screen went into low pressure side of compressor

screen is good, but to have 2 / 3 Compressors go bad is somewhat unusual, unless you are not using Manufacturer Oil recommendations or you did not Flush good enough or over filling Freon.
You should be able to tell if the Belt is slipping also

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the first compressor that locked up had been on there since I got the car, and I believe it had a date on there of 2000 or 2001 so I think that compressor was just old. I may have jumped the gun on thinking the remanufactured compressor was bad but the pulley didnt spin freely. I don't think it's an overfill issue because it happens as soon as I turn on the AC to charge it up. The compressor says it came precharged with 3oz of oil which is correct. Could the overall system be low on oil ? would that cause an issue

thanks for the added info......

Could the overall system be low on oil ? would that cause an issue
But for the issue of "it happens as soon as I turn on the AC to charge it up"..................
that indicates there was something sucked in to the compressor.......
Has anyone identified the reason, when you return the Pump or did you just purchase another?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
just purchased a new one, I just sent the remanufactured compressor back, haven't heard anything yet. How could anything get past that screen ? Plus when I removed the remanufactured compressor the screen on it was clean. You think some super tiny stuff could slip through ?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Any recommendations on what to do ? Maybe take the compressor off and dump out the oil and add the 3 oz ? Maybe add 4oz ?

sorry.........had to log off

It doesn't take much to ruin a compressor
I would want to Replace the Dryer, flush the system again....purchase a New or "reputable Rebuilt & use the oil that comes with it
engage & cycle the compressor a couple times, prior to leaving On for charge
Then charge

did you need more information?
please respond or rate my answer

thank you

Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 3 months ago.

clearly there still must be a problem

please respond so I can help further, or at least let me know what you found
Rating answer is what was agreed on