Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

I'm looking to buy a truck to haul a small camper around the

Customer Question

I'm looking to buy a truck to haul a small camper around the country for 3 months. I don't have 30k to buy a new truck so I have been looking into the 1970 ford 250.
My question is, how reliable are these trucks for what I'm looking to do? The camper weight will be around 4000lbs, so small/mid.
The truck I'm looking at buying is a 1970 f250 360 v8 with 121k miles.
Category: Classic Car
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also, what I should be checking for when buying/ determing the truck is a good buy. Whats a fair price range would you buy a truck like this
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 4 months ago.

Hi there.

The F250 with the 8' bed would be a good choice for your purpose. However, it being a 1970, I would be concerned with the condition of all suspension and steering mountings and bushings - I would pay special attention to the Twin I-Beam front suspension.

Miles are very good in the sense of the engine not having had that much use. However, I'd like to see a documented history of service - for example; coolant changes every one or two years, brake fluid flush every year, transmission services, thermostat, radiator, hoses and belts, tire rotation, etc.

If all of that checked out OK, then have a mechanic go through the brakes and shocks and make any upgrades necessary to handle the extra weight.

Price is dependent on the truck's overall condition plus whatever your local market is indicating - I would look to pay no more than $8000.00 for the Ranger option in extra clean condition with all accessories working.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best Regards.