rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

The in dash Rocker togo switches on our 1974 VW bug, they 't

Customer Question

The in dash Rocker togo switches on our 1974 VW bug, they don’t seem to work, when the dash face plate is away from the dash the switch is fine but when the face plate is screwed to the dash the Rocker togo switches fall into the dash when trying them. Anyone know what is causing this and is there a Rocker togo switches that can be put in place from the outside the of the dash, as you know the stock switches are installed from the back side of the dash? Please see attachment are there any of this type that will fit into the dash? Thanks.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Chad, I don't understand you gave me no answer and you referred me to a "new Classic Car Mechanic"
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Sorry for that glitch you had, but it seems to me that when you re-attach everything, you're either pinching a wire or losing a ground. Check just a bit closer.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The problem is not that the switch does not work, what happens is the switch falls into the dash and does not stay in the mounted position
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

It sounds like the mounting bracket no longer works. Try to fabricate something around the inner part of the switch so it holds again, you may even need to glue it. It

s doubtful you will find parts for this.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Ronald,Sorry I side tracked with more important issues, back to these rocker switches, I don't want to glue anything because that will be a major problem down the road. Did you see the attachment of mine above at the beginning of this thread? Please open it, I believe that there must be some rocker switches like these that will fit some way, the rectangular hole is 1-1/8" x 3/4".
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

There may be, but this is NOT a parts store, it's a Q and A site.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ronald I am sorry you have taken this position. There is nothing in our request which indicates that this is a parts house, as a matter of fact our request falls under the guide lines of "it's a Q and A site." If you re read our question you will realize that we are asking a proper question, "isthere a Rocker togo switches that can be put in place from the outside of the dash, as you know the stock switches are installed from the back side of the dash?" We are not asking to send us a part nor are we asking you to look up a part, what it boils down to is we are asking all the experts if they know of a part that will fit. There are a ton of experts with tons of knowledge and maybe there is one that has had some experience with this. Thanks for your help. Since you don't have the answer to our question please repost our question so if a just answers expert knows of this part they can inform us. Thank you.