Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

I have an after market 32 in steering column installed in my

Customer Question

I have an after market 32 in steering column installed in my 1957 GMC pickup. I works just fine...except the turn signals won't return once engaged...this started a few months ago...time to fix it .
You may have some questions....Rod.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.Since there are many styles of steering columns esp after market, would you mind posting a few pics of the column and the turn signal cams/mechanism?Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here are current pictures.....Rod ????pictures would not past to this box?
If you push on the little icon showing a page with an arrow inside a circle you can attach them and post them.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Confused by your directions...what little icon showing a page with an arrow inside a circle? I have been trying to send you the pictures...but no direct path to get these to you...can't seem to be able to send them to you....I guess I will purchase a new column and forget about this one....Rod.
I'm sorry. If you want to post your email I'll send you a direct message that you can reply to with your email
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok so it's a common Gm style turn signal switch. Unfortunately the turn signal cancel was a common failure on these. Usually it was the spring breaking but there are a few tabs underneath that break as well. Unfortunately you will have to replace the turn signal switch to fix the problem.Sorry. I wish it could be fixed.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He was good...but I fixed the problem without his help. I had another after market bent steering column and replaced the non-working parts with parts from it....signals now work just fine. Thanks.
was my information helpful? Or I didn't help?
I'm sorry, but I didn't quite understand the response.If I was helpful, would you mind rating my help?Thanks
Sonny
Do you still need help with this problem? Or was my advice helpful?
Thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have fixed the problem without your expert help...thanks for the try...your system is too complex for me to use again.
Sorry about that....Rod Boles.
No problem. I'm sorry about the problems with it.