Ron, Classic Car Technician
Experience:  35 yrs. experience as an automotive technician.

Installed a custom brake system on a 1964 galaxie 500XL. car

Customer Question

Installed a custom brake system on a 1964 galaxie 500XL. car was original 4 drum manual brakes. installed a 8" brake booster with dual master cylinder w/combination proportioning metering valve. The front brakes wont activate. tested the pedal travel at the booster and it will push the booster rod out about 1.1". bench bled the master cylinder and attached to the booster and tested brake travel with bleeder tube feeding back into the MC everything checks out (full pedal travel. As soon as the mastercylinder it hooked up to the proportioning metering valve the pedal only travels halfway and becomes rock hard.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you loosen the line at the proportioning valve and press the breaks are you getting a good flow of break fluid to the valve from the front break line? Check this and post back with the results and we can work from there.