Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

Im looking location of the o2 censor on my 1977 datsun 280z

Customer Question

Im looking for the location of the o2 censor on my 1977 datsun 280z
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Nissan. The Nissan Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My car is running rich and i need to change the o2 censor
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yess
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 6 months ago.

None of the 280Z's had oxygen sensors. The 280ZX was the start of oxygen sensor use on Z cars. If you have a mixture problem, check the electrical connection on the temperature sensor. Then pull the vacuum line off of the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) If there is gas in the vacuum line the FPR is bad. You need to check the fuel pressure too. Those are the two most common fuel mixture problems I have seen on this model. Also I would absolutely change the fuel filter if you haven't already done so.

Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 5 months ago.

Good luck with it, and thanks for using Just Answer.