Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

I am trying to find out if there is a way to adjust how far

Customer Question

I am trying to find out if there is a way to adjust how far the brake pedal goes down before engaging the drum brakes on my 72 Malibu. Mine is only a half inch from the floor board.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Are these the orignial brakes?
Customer: Don't know. I bought the car 7 years ago and had the front brakes replaced 5 years ago.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Ya.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Classic Car Mechanic should know about your classic?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Classic Car Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Good morning,

Have you attempted to adjust the drum brakes so that they are as tight to the drum as possible? This will affect the pedal feel quite a bit. Are you familiar with the adjusted on drum brakes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know on my Model A that I adjust them with a clicker on the back of the drum. I assume there is something similar on the drum brakes of my 72?
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry, I got pulled away out into the shop for much longer than I thought I would.

Yes, the clicker is very similar to your model A. What you want to do is remove the drum and then ratchet the clicker out as far as it will go and still be able to get the drum on. It should feel like the drum is slightly dragging on the shoes. Once you do this you should feel a much better brake pedal.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Did you need any additional help with this?

If not, please don't forget to rate.