Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.

I'm not getting power to the ignition switch on my 1976

Customer Question

I'm not getting power to the ignition switch on my 1976 F100. It is a new battery and the problem just started after many miles of trouble free driving. Along with not being able to start the engine, no power is getting to the head lights' parking lights, instrument lights etc.
JA: Have you checked the fuse for the headlight circuit? How are the bulbs?
Customer: checked the fuses twice. It seems that there is a break between the starter solenoid and the ignition switch yet all the wires look intact
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've removed the dash panel and checked all the wires going to the ignition switch and the starter button ( the car was rewired by someone else ten years ago )
JA: Is there anything else the Classic Car Mechanic should be aware of about your classic?
Customer: The car and its systems all operated fine until suddenly all power was lost. Almost as if a circuit breaker failed carrying the main buss.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Classic Car Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Kevin Bourcier replied 5 months ago.

hello . I can assist you with this