Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.

My 49 Cadillac power window mechanism binds and won't go up

Customer Question

My 49 Cadillac power window mechanism binds and won't go up with or the glass attached it seams to bind, I have many hours into trying to figure what's wrong ?
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 5 months ago.

Hello, does it only bind going up? Is it doing this with the glass both in and out? What's the condition of the mohair slides in the window channel?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The chanels are new, this is a recently restored car, the lift cylinder was leaking and I put a new one in
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 4 months ago.

It has been a long time since I have seen one of these. The cylinders, if they are not leaking rarely cause problems. The pump-motor unit on the firewall is the problem a lot of times. Bad electrical connections, worn pumps, and the problems brake fluid has of absorbing moisture all need to be explored. I do remember the seat needs to be all the way back and the windows need to be down when you check the fluid level, that would be the first thing to check. From there I would perform a voltage drop test at the motor checking for bad connections. If the battery isn't all the way charged you might not have enough power to operate this system properly, it uses a lot of power. Go over these things and see if you can spot a problem, I will be around if you have a question. I am about to log off, but will be back Sunday evening.