rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

How do I stop vapor lock

Customer Question

How do I stop vapor lock
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Vapor lock is caused by fuel getting hot and not moving fast enough through the lines. Seeing that you have a low pressure system, 4-7 PSI, most guys re-route the fuel lines away from any heat potentials. I've even seen guys put wood clothes pins on the fuel line because heat transfers very well to wood. Weird yes but it did work. Try my first suggestion first.

Thanks, Ron

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.

By the way, fuel boils at 100 degrees and another item called a idle fuel compensator is at the carb that also helps atomize the boiling fuel issue.

Thanks again, Ron