rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

My 1973 Super Beetle is making a loud knocking noise that

Customer Question

My 1973 Super Beetle is making a loud knocking noise that seems to be coming from the driver side rear tire. It does it when the tire is rolling freely but not so much or at all when I am accelerating. What could it be?
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teachautomotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it. Sounds like an axle or trans noise. It would be best to pull the axle and check bearings too. Not uncommon for an axle to wear out.Thanks, Ron
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The noise just started all of a sudden yesterday and got louder quick with in a few miles of when it started. I just had the entire car restored and everything should have been overhauled or replaced. Not much time for wear, but could something just come out of place or something?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.
Anything is possible, then have your mechanic check to see if everything is tight. Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.Ron
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Unfortunately my mechanic is no longer in the picture.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.
Did someone call you yet?Thanks, Ron