Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  ..................
14892859

James, this is Mark. I am at a stand still on trying to get

Customer Question

Hi James, this is Mark. I am at a stand still on trying to get my 1955 ford Fairlane started. It sits in garage all winter and has started fine on second crank every year. This year would not start. I replaced fuel filter and blew points with air and checked all connections in case water. It cranks, makes quick rumble and thats it. Acts like it wants to start. I can smell gas so I know its getting to carb which is newer Holly. Also have added heat to gas just in case water in fuel. Now get flash of fire coming out of carb when try to start. Any ideas??
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Classic Car Service replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If you can smell raw fuel at the tailpipe, and you are seeing a flash of fire in the carb when cranking, this indicates improper camshaft/spark timing. Anytime, on any car, one gets fire shooting out of the carb, this means that the spark is being sent to a cylinder that still has the intake valve in the open position. The ensuing ignition of the air/fuel mixture erupts out of the intake valve area, up the intake manifold, and out of the carb. Valve position is determined by camshaft placement with regard to crankshaft placement. Most likely, your engine needs a timing chain replacement, as yours is either stretched or jumped a tooth or two.Here is a test: Try rotating the distributor clockwise of counter clockwise as far as it go. Then try to start. If the engine tries to start better, or starts, you need a timing chain replacement.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer