Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.

57 olds with power brake system. I have replaced the booster/master

Customer Question

57 olds with power brake system. I have replaced the booster/master cylinder three times with no improvement on the boost to the brakes. What am I overlooking.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a classic. The Classic Car Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The initial push on the brake feels like power assist after that there is no boost with extremely hard pedal
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes or with local assistance in the Detroit area.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: As stated, I have gone completely through the system in addition to replacing the booster and master cylinder three times.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Classic Car Mechanic should know about your classic?
Customer: All stock system
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Classic Car Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.
Do you have a high lift camshaft in that engine? If so, they produce a smaller amount of intake manifold vacuum and I had the same problem after rebuilding the 350 in my chevelle and putting in a high lift cam, the intake manifold vacuum went from 19-10 inches down to 14 or so and since the brake booster runs off of intake manifold vacuum, it suffers.I was actually thinking of adding some kind of vacuum pump but I sold the car last year.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
completely stock with 18 # *****
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.
Ok, I took a shot.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.
I went to look in the repair manual to see what type of brake system this has and low and behold, I have no idea what engine is in this or what model.