Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.

WHen i turn the key off, it continues to run. I need to pop

Customer Question

WHen i turn the key off, it continues to run. I need to pop the clutch now to stall it then disconnect the battery. I just replaced the ignition switch.
JA: Whether it's at the end of the driveway or on the highway, a car stalling can be dangerous. The good news is the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all kinds of engine issues. How old is the battery?
Customer: 1 year
JA: Does the car stall out mainly when going up or down hills?
Customer: no. It runs great. This just started happening only when I try to shut it off.
JA: Got it. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: its a 1971 Ford F100
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 5 months ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assistfrom the sounds of it, power is continuing to the coil. it comes from the ignition switch. the switch may be bad not stopping current from going to the coil. what have you tried so far?? Roy