Roy Scarlett
Roy Scarlett,
Experience:  Auto Mechanics Teacher at Levittown Schools
93907001

Oldsmobile 88: I have a 1957 olds 88 4dr.371motor automatic

Customer Question

I have a 1957 olds 88 4dr.371motor automatic with 135k miles. I took my car to be in a short but slow parade plus it had some old gas left over from last year and I let it run the whole time a total of about 4 hours.Well when I started back home someone let me know I was loosing transmission fluid from the front of the trans.I took it home about a mile away from the ball park.IT does not mov now and it does not smell like its burnt and the fluid looks ok. IF it is the front seal that needs to be replace.How hard is it to re place both FT. and back seals?
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Roy Scarlett replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** replace transmission seals the first thing you have to do is remove the trans from the car. Then you will need to remove the torque converter from the trans. Once the torque converter is out of the way you have access to the front seal. With a seal remover pull out the old seal and with a seal installer put in the new one. the rear seal is the same process without removing the torque converter.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could the fluid have come out some other way besides the seals? Does the transmission have like a vent on top of it when it is to full of fluid and hot it can come out the vent and save the seals?
It is possible. I would suggest putting the car on a lift, cleaning the trans and running the car to see where the oil is coming from. If it is the front pump seal you will see it at the trans to engine area, the vent pipe on the side, etc.
Expert:  Roy Scarlett replied 6 months ago.
Hello, it's Roy again. Have you done any more diagnosis on your Olds? If you are satisfied, or not, with my suggestions please rate me so we may close this out. Thank you very much.