Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  Heavy Line Mech-, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.

I have a 1957 Chevy bel air sports coupe. Just got it restored

Customer Question

I have a 1957 Chevy bel air sports coupe. Just got it restored 40 days ago. Now, tail lights do not come on when lightswitch is pulled to on position. Front parking lights do come on. No brake lights working either.
JA: Working tail lights are so important for a safe drive. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with will have just the tips you need for a quick fix.
Customer: okau
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am ready to order a new switch if necessary
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Classic Car Mechanic should know about your classic?
Customer: The dome light is also no longer coming on.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Classic Car Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 5 months ago.
.sorry for the delay.............Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (aka MOLurch) and I look forward to helping you!”.You need to test the RED & ORANGE wires at the Light Switch for Voltage +You can use a Test Light or Volt Meter (DC)The RED wire powers the LightsThe ORANGE wire powers the Brake LightsTest the ORANGE & WHITE wires at the Brake SwitchWhile pressing on Brake Pedal, the WHITE wire should show Voltage +There is a Connector in the Rear Harness for the Rear LightsShould be near or under Back SeatBe sure there is Voltage + with Lights ON at the BLACK wires to the Tail LightsHere is SchematicClick Link : ..IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating..Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A..NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed..If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better..Rating is very Important to our Service..
did you need more information?please respond or ratethank you