Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

Ok, I just rebuilt a 1970 351c hooked up electric fuel pump,

Customer Question

Ok, I just rebuilt a 1970 351c hooked up electric fuel pump, hasn't started, no power at fuse panel, back firing thru carb.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a classic. The Classic Car Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Ok, here we go. Last year pulled motor out of a stock 351c 2v car. Sent block to shop, bored 0.30, decked .010, crank turned 0.10. Installed speed pro pistons, Erwin mild street cam, eldebrock torker intake, Holley 600cfm carb, Holley electric fuel pump. Sealed 2v heads for 4v quinch heads, all new gaskets, new oil pump and petronix ignition and coil. It has no power at fuse panel and when you bypass the solenoid it turns over but back fires thru the carb.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I am about to give up and send to someone
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Classic Car Mechanic should know about your classic?
Customer: It was running last year, ran hot before rebuild.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Classic Car Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Roy Scarlett replied 7 months ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I would like to try to help with your problem. I will need a little more information from you. Are you using a generator or alternator? What model Ford is this in? Did you do the engine assembly work?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is a 1970 ford torino, I did the assembly work myself, one thing I would like to verify, is pushrod lenth? Decked block .0.010 I just don't think this is a online solution type thing, someone needs to see this.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think this pay for answers is just a scam anyway. How can anyone know how to fix something without seeing it? Unless it just a question that is from a simpleton.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, this a question, I have no power to fuse panel under the dash. Tested the solenoid, good. Ground from block to firewall, good. Power to alternator, good. Where is fuseable link in factory wiring to panel, ford schematic doesn't show anything that I haven't checked. I can use cross over push button switch at solenoid and engine turns over. Backfires thru carb, but doesn't try to start and no power at switch?
Hello, sorry for the delay. I am assuming that you used hydraulic lifters, if so the push rod length should not matter. Next if you do not have power in the fuse box you will not have proper power at the coil, so that has to be fixed first. there is normally a fusible link coming off the solenoid, if not near the battery. I will try to find you some wire diagrams.
Here is a diagram for 1967-1972. As an attachment.