Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.

Studebaker Hawk (GT): I have a 1962 Studebake Hawk (GT), 3

Customer Question

I have a 1962 Studebake Hawk (GT), 3 speed standard w/overdrive. It will not shift into overdrive but works good in conventional. This is the type that has three wires going to the selenoid. I hope the problem is electrical but don't really know how to trouble shot it. Please let me know the proper proceedure and the reading I should expect to get.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'll be happy to help you with this. I'm alsogoing to postthe wiring diagram below for reference. The first check is going to be for key on voltage at both sides of the fuse going to the kickdown switch. Check that and let me know what you find and we can work further from there.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, I have voltage at both sides of the fuse on the kickdown switch.
Thanks, ***** ***** be one wire coming out fo the governer on the end of the transmission. If you ground that the relay on the firewall shouldclick. Ifit doesn't check that wire from the governer to the relay. it's very common for them to break
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK, I will check that. What I would like to check at the same time is if the three wires are properly connected on the selenoid. If I am facing the selenoid when it is mounted on the transmission, which wire goes to the terminal on the left, which one goes to the middle terminal and which goes to the right terminal. The wiring diagram that you sent if very helpfuf and I see that the three terminals are marked #4, #6 and #8. But on the selenoid itself, which one is which?
No problem, ifyou look at page 11 of the manual I'm posting a link to below. #4 is the middle 6 is the left and in the 3 wire case 8 will be to the right.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I must be missing something because I see only two wires going to the solenoid and that being only #4 and #6. (That is what it shows in the wiring diagram on page 7, Figure 9.) I do not have the O.D. Relay or the Shift Rail Lock out Switch that they show in the circuit. The Overdrive Wiring Diagram that you originally sent me does appear to be the correct one. If I'm not reading this correctly please let me know.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 5 months ago.
The illustration in the manual is accurate just for locations of 4 and 6 on the solenoid and the other connector being to the left of 4 The rest of it electrically will not be applicable. The first wiring diagram does apply to your unit.