Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  ..................
14892859

Cj5: I have a 1971 jeep cj5 v/6 225 , it just won't start

Customer Question

I have a 1971 jeep cj5 v/6 225 , it just won't start , it will engage stater engine turns
over. battery good , new coil, new modular voltage reg. new ,, it ran and seemed like it was hard to start then parked it , went back and tried to start almost like backfired , now just turns over .. terminal on back of the altnator is very hot to touch??? any suggestions
Thanks GK
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Classic Car Service replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The backfire condition is most likely the cause of your issue. Thsi has probably caused the timing chain to jump a couple teeth (which was most likely stretched to start with, which would give you a hard to start condition). If this vehicle was in my shop, I would be diagnosing a jumped timing chain.