sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Rolls Royce Silver Spur: How do I reset the oxygen sensors

Customer Question

How do I reset the oxygen sensors on my 1997 Rolls Royce Silver Spur I have used my code reader to reset but the light comes back on and they are new sensors.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI,Ok, erasing the codes with a scan tool does reset everything. When the check engine light comes back on with the same code, then that means that it was incorrectly diagnosed or the new parts are defective. If you used cheap aftermarket O2 sensors in your RR, that indeed could be the problem.If not, then it was incorrectly diagnosed. Depending upon the fault code for the O2 sensor, it may be the O2 sensor, short or open circuit in the wiring harness, faulty ECU, failing catalytic converter, air intake leak, vacuum leak, fuel pressure issue, or exhaust leak
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No you don't understand the Rolls has a check engine light but that is not on it tells you that there is a defective O2 sensor on the dash. I bought two new ones at 380.00 and 425.00 from the dealer so there not cheap ones. I just can't get the dash light telling me the sensor is bad from when I replaced them to go off.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI,Oh, ok. That I dont have the procedure to reset for. I will open it back up to other experts.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If you are clearing the fault codes and they are returning it's because the problem still exists and was not repaired by replacing the sensors. If the sensors were replaced with quality parts then you most likely have a wiring issue.What P codes are setting?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You don't understand my check engine light is fine there are of faults on it. There is a message on the dash under the odometer that says REPLACE OXYGEN SENSOR. I replaced them with new ones at a cost of over 750.00 from a Rolls dealer. The light did not go off. I need to know how to reset the light on the dash nothing to do with the computer the check engine light is not on. And there are no codes in the computer.
Thank You
You said you had cleared codes with a code reader. Were there not actually ever codes set?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There are no codes in the computer i tried to clear the Oxygen sensor light on the das with the code reader but it will not turn off the dash light
If there are no fault codes then a code reader isn't going to change anything. Is it a code reader or actual scan tool you're trying to use? A dealer or high end aftermarket scan tool will need to be used and specifically choose to reset the oxygen sensor maintenance monitor from the miscellaneous functions menu.