Roy Belding
Roy Belding, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  Grew up with most of the 50,60 and 70 high performance cars
3506196

Jaguar XK6: I am having a running problem with a 64 xk 3.8.

Customer Question

I am having a running problem with a 64 xk 3.8. It has been diagnosed with carb problems but I an sure at this point that there is more to it. It will not run well and can only be started with starting fluid. I have checked the valve lash and can only find one exhaust cup that appears tight and not by much. It acts like there is no vacuum to pull in fuel. Fuel pressure is correct and it has a Mallory dual point dist. Timing advance does not help. Compression is from 125-155. When running the carbs need to set very rich but it will backfire through the carbs and won't create much power.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. If you have not inspected the timing components to see if the engine has skipped timing at all this needs done.This will cause issues with the fuel delivery and vacuum as well.If an issue is found with the fuel system it will need repaired to correct this fault here.If this is or was checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue from here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I gave the credit card info last night, did not receive a response until now. Was the card charges already accepted.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.
Hello,did you get my reply above at all?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The timing marks are correct on the cams at compression on #1 cylinder, front of engine.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.
O.k.,unfortunately with my info being limited on this model here I will have to see if others here can assist further on this.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** help is appreciated.
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 8 months ago.
keep me updated Roy