Mike S.
Mike S., Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  A.S.E. certified with 25+ years experience.

I have a 1976 chevy 350 that has sat all winter. When I started

Customer Question

I have a 1976 chevy 350 that has sat all winter. When I started it the engine went to a high rpm and will not settle down. Worked fine in the fall when I put it away. Any ideas?
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: That is it. Started right up but immediately went to high rpm's
JA: Anything else I can tell the Chevy Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No, that is it.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
It sounds like a problem with the carburetor choke. Remove the air cleaner and make sure the choke is opening and that the idle kicks down. If this has an electric choke make sure there is voltage to the wire when the key is on run.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
How was the choke?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
If you checked the choke and it was fine, let me know so I can tell you what to check out next.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.