Ron, Classic Car Technician
Experience:  35 yrs. experience as an automotive technician.

Plymouth Roadrunner: body convert to manual steering.

Customer Question

69 b body convert to manual steering. Can I use original power column
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.Since the steering column has no control over the power steering which is controlled by the power steering pump and gear box, the steering column should work with Manuel steering with no issues.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The shaft from the column slides but not far enough to get back in the coupler. About an inch short.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
It should slide and that may be the only deciding factor if you can not get it to slide far enough. The other option you would have would be to modify the shaft by adding an extension. If that not an option then its not going to work if it will not stretch far enough.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are the columns actually the same
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Because the non power steering box is a different size I would suspect the Manuel column has a longer column.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In all actuality the very last section of the column shaft with the pin for shoes steps up in size. This section is welded. So I thought that it was inserted and welded. I ground the weld off to see how they go together. Low and behold there is a spline which has enough shaft to slide out and reweld. I hope this helps you with n e situations in the future.
I should get a refund. Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
You are not charged unless you rate the service . Any money you have placed in your account remains your and stays in your account. If you wish to close your account and refund. You will need to contact customer service. Glad you got it resolved and thank you just the same..