Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have a 1971 220 sometimes it runs well but suddenly the

Customer Question

I have a 1971 220 sometimes it runs well but suddenly the enine stops for some reason I g try to start it and the engine just turns but does no fire, it has fuel, fuel filter showso clear fuel, battery is fully charged. What do you think the problem is?
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: The starter turns the engine, but engine will not fire
JA: Got it. The mechanic will have thoughts on how you two can troubleshoot and diagnose this issue. How old is the battery?
Customer: The battery is new and I have checked when the car runs the alternator keeps the battery charged
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mercedes Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: I have checked continuity on all spark plug wires an they are ok
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. See if the fuel system is vapor locking.Loosen the fuel fill cap slowly when this occurs and see if a sucking noise is heard.Then see if it starts and runs then.If it does then the fuel tank vent system needs checked to see if there is an actual vent line plugged or if the vent is with the fuel cap and the cap is not venting and the cap may need replaced. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete