Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

G,day Dr Hamman, I am in Australia and am working on a 1957

Customer Question

G,day Dr Hamman,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am in Australia and am working on a 1957 caddy with a hydramatic trans,when the trans is up to operating temp the reverse gets a bad shudder or slip,it also has a bad oil leak from the bellhousing.I have removed the trans and stripped down the fluid coupling,the o'ring looks ok but hard and the pump seal is in one piece.Can you give me an idea of the main causes of these issues ?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Classic Car Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If there is any way the fluid can pass through the O rings due to being hard this may be causing this here.Since the O rings are hard it may be a good idea to replace them and see if this corrects the fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
G,day Pete,Thanks for your reply,i will replace the o'ring in the fluid coupling as a matter of course and the pump seal,i was hoping for a guy that has experience with these transmissions as it seem that they have a bit of a reputation for problems.I have had quite a bit of experience myself with classic cars being in the industry for 32 years but although i have rebuilt a variety of auto's this is the first hydramatic i have tackled.In researching i have read of undersize seals and cracked housings causing pressure loss mainly to do with the torus hub i think but i would like to find out if there are common problems with these trans i need to be aware of.The plate on the side of the trans has the numbers c-57-101645 on it which may help with the identification,if you are able to check up for me that would be great as being in Australia there is limited knowledge and old guys to talk to about these transmissions.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Unfortunately with my limited knowledge on this model as well I will have to see if anyone else here can assist further on this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Pete,
Thanks for help and would appreciate further input from others who may have worked on these transmissions.