Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certifications in Engine Repair, Manual Drivetrain and Axles, Suspension and Steering, and Heating and A/C.
49095596

68 dodge 318 changed coil ,timing chain and sparksplugs, and

Customer Question

68 dodge 318 changed coil ,timing chain and sparksplugs, and wires,carburator,distributor,still wont start,plug have fire,dot line up on timing.help
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 8 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

did you check compression???

is there fuel in the carb???

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
compression between 125 and 145 is carb new

ok, thanks. is there fuel in the carb going into the motor???

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

what did you gap the point to???

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
017

and what is the timing set to???

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
crank at 12 cam at 6 oclock dots line up

no spark timing with a light while cranking.

the compression confirms you have the chain set right

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
spark plug got fire,pour gas straight in carb checked firing order at tdc everything is good.just dosent make sense

ok, what I am getting at is the distributor timing. it needs to be set. you may also have the distributor in backwards and firing on valve overlap

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
how does that happen, tdc points right at #1,

2 possibilities. it could be on compression or valve overlap.

you need to remove number 1 sprk plug and tap the key until you feel compression out the hole. then hand turn the motor to line up the mark on the balancer and then install the distribuutor.

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it does already check it,tdc is right cylinder 1 is at top

I am sorry, you are not understanding me. you need to do a top dead center check and verify the distributor setting.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
at tdc cylinder is at top,distributor is pointing at #1
Expert:  Robert R replied 8 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

New expert here...

I need to ask a couple questions before I can answer this question..

First, you stated that the timing chain was installed using 12 o clock on the crank timing mark and 6 o clock on the cam timing mark. Did you install the distributor with the engine in this position before turning over the engine?

Second, I need to know if you get any spark from the coil when you crank over the engine?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When changing the timing chain didn't work, I then changed the distributor,i plulled a spark plug and turned it over and i get spark,i check tdc,cyclender #1 is at top,dist is pointing at the #1 wire,getting fuel
Expert:  Robert R replied 8 months ago.

When you checked #1 TDC, did you remove the #1 spark plug and put your finger over the hole while turning the engine to see if you get pressure buildup as the #1 piston is reaching TDC? We need to verify that number 1 is actually on the compression stroke and not #6.

The reason that I asked the above questions is because when the timing chain is installed with the crank gear at 12 o clock and the cam gear at 6 o clock, it is actually #6 TDC and NOT #1. Number one TDC requires BOTH the crank sprocket AND the cam sprocket to be at the 12 o clock position. If this is the case, your distributor is installed 180 degrees off. If you remove the distributor and rotate it 180 degrees and reinstall it, I suspect that you WILL get the engine started...

Try this and let me know if it helps you get the engine started....

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert