Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons mechanical engineering 20 years repairing my own cars and others, 8 yrs in formula 1 engin
12772297

Seized inlet manifold 1970 S2 e-type jaguar, The 3 SU

Customer Question

seized inlet manifold 1970 S2 e-type jaguar
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a a jaguar. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The 3 SU carburettors are being rebuilt. The person doing it needs the manifold to do the initial setting up of the carburettors
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Hoping to
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of about your jaguar?
Customer: No. It is going to be a ground restoration
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Classic Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine is still in the car at present
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The manifold is aluminum and the studs are steel, so I'm pretty certain there's been a reaction between the two metals. I have been spraying with penetrating oil and carefully tapping the studs sideways with mallet and wood block x2 daily for the last week or so.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

if the manifold is jammed onto its studs then yes its possible its down to corrosion

what may help is if you try removing the studs from the cylinder head to wind them out with a pair of locked up nuts

also the latest freeze sprays are good at releasing parts

http://plumbsparesdirect.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=994&language=en&currency=GBP&gclid=CKnU-bODrssCFYdAGwodMg4I_A

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you