Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

1955 olds super 88 3 speed ran great just overhauled. heard

Customer Question

1955 olds super 88 3 speed ran great just overhauled. heard ticking. replaced rocker arm, push rod, lifter. to do so had to take off intake manifold carburetor vaccumm line to distribertor . Also installed a new muffler. have a total loss of power. can't get it to move down the road. like it is stuck in third gear but it is not. does it in reverse and neutral also. spark advance is free and not stuck as far as I can see. carburetor pump seems to be working. fuel pump fills a cup in 10 seconds car starts right up but will not run when you put a load on it. timing light is the same as when it ran great.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 9 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

when you set the timing, did you set it with the vacuum line disconnected from the distributor??? it needs to be set with it not hooked to the vacuum advance

Roy