Roy Belding
Roy Belding, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  Grew up with most of the 50,60 and 70 high performance cars
3506196

I have a 1964 deville coupe. I am replacing the front drum

Customer Question

I have a 1964 deville coupe. I am replacing the front drum brakes. I have a shop manual and I also understand brakes. The problem is when I got the car and had to remove the brakes, they were so frozen on, I could not remove the drum and had to cut the pins. Needless to say, I don't know how hardware goes where. Again, I have the book, even my father is a retired mechanic, and something is not right. I am thinking that possibly they were put on wrong and maybe I am missing pieces. My biggest concern is these stabilizer plates -- they look like triangles (twp on each side according to shop manual) -- that I don't have, I cannot find anywhere online, I don't remember them, brake hardware kit does not mention, I can't even find a picture of what brakes make look like on a 1964.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming. I'm ***** *****.
I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

Can you upload me a picture of the parts you have so I can help you figure it out.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Copy.. I will upload when I get back from Dr's appt..

Ok

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will shortly.. Thx
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
These are: 2 pictures of my brakes on car (obviously not finished); 1 picture of Cadillac Shop manual showing front and rear (and the "Stabilizer Plates"; 1 picture of my father's 1965 mechanics manual (right side brakes); 2 pictures from the internet that appear to be 1964 back brakes); and 1 copy of front of shop manual. That is what I have. Thanks. Ken

The picture on the right is the setup. I recently rebuilt wheel cylinders on a '67 Cadillac with 13k miles on it for a friend.

Do you have all the parts shown in the picture?

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happyto answer follow-up questions.
If you are satisfied with the information I supplied we would like to close out this question.

If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.

Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Thank you for posting your question.
Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Daniel, no, this is the twist. I have two different pictures of what it is supposed to look like -- one with the Stabilizer Plates, one without. So, I don't know what parts I do or don't have. I am not concerned with the rear brakes at this moment, just the front. Because I had to remove the frozen ones with a hammer, nothing came off to the point I could snap a picture. So now, as I reassemble, I see the shop manual talking and showing the plates, but they are mentioned no where else and I am almost positive were not on the car. Which means they could have not been used. Another thing supporting my theory the shop manual is may be wrong or generic, is the fact they show a total of four pins to retain the plates and the brakes. The reason I say this is because no hardware kits include six holddown pins for each side. And the last thing I mentioned before, is you can do a search on the internet for these stabilizer plates and you will not find them anywhere. What would be the best is if I could get a picture of a 64 front brake system right after the drum is removed. But I cannot find one. If you don't know what I am talking about, I need to move on -- I already did the cylinders in the front, I know mechanics, I just need that special help...
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 9 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

do you still need help??? if you do, can you post a picture of what you have now before I call???

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
you can assist, but what happened to Dan? He was sort of working with me but we made it no where... I have pictures. Essentially it is this. I have a 64 cadillac deville and I am unclear on what goes back on the drum brakes. Shop manual says one thing, another shop manuals says another, and no where on the internet can I get a picture of how they should be places back on. The main problem with all this is the drum were frozen on and so I had to cut the pins and slowly hammer them off so I could never take a picture before I took them apart. Another wrinke is the cadillac shop manual mentions these two (perside) stabilizer plates which I don't have, don't remember, cannot be ordered, and the hardware kit does not come with the number of pins that would be needed to hold down the shoes, and the two plates totally six pins per side. The pictiures you see are rear brake pictures from internet, front and back from cadillac shop manual, my picture I took of the current state of my repairs...

are the first 2 pictures of your actual car????

I want to see what you see on your car.

I dont know what happened to Dan but it has been a while and I can help once I see your actual wheels.

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Im talking to technical support to see what happened. Apparently you guys can do a hand off and that is what happened, but no one tells the customer. Okay, the picture with the jackstand is my drivers side front brake. I don't think the shoes are even places right, but it will give you an idea of what I have. I DO NOT HAVE THOSE STABILIZER PLATES. I also don't know if I could even put them on (I don't see the holes in the back plate to even attach)... So I am at a loss.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The other picture is of the passenger side front nad rear brake out of the shop manual...

ok, I am going to opt out so you can continue with Dan

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, no, that was not what I was saying... I would rather work with you... Can you help?
Expert:  Joe Barfield replied 9 months ago.

0

I am still here if you want to continue

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
or I want to continue. Are you able to see the comments I made in the pictures I uploaded to Daniel? So I am still working on the brakes. Again , the brakes they were originally on here were so frozen that I had to beat them off with a hammer I was never able to see the full brake set up in the front. So when I look in the 1964 shop manual for the Cadillac it shows me the stabilizer plates that I don't have that I cannot find on the internet and that would require 6 pins on each side told them down . So that is my dilemma. I cannot find stabilizer plate anywhere.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
But I am Not sure that even stabilizer plates belong on the Cadillac. I don't even think that there is are the holes drilled in the back plate to except the 6 cotter pins to hold them down. So I would give anything for a picture for someone to describe how they should all be set up on a 1964 drum break

ok, yes, I did, tried to do the phone call but there was an issue with your payment.

I do not believe they need those plates at all.

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well.. It's hard to talk now anyway because of shop noise.. Okay.. So if I don't need those plates why would they be so glaring on the 64 manual diagram? And they do look like they serve a purpose....
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Let me see if I can try to fit what I have.. On another project so give me some time.. Thx..

I have seen them on older ones, but not on what you showed me a picture of.

Roy