Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

I have a 1973 Chevrolet El Camino with a 350. It was the

Customer Question

I have a 1973 Chevrolet El Camino with a 350. It was the base model with an idiot light dash. I purchased an SS instrument cluster from a 1973 El Camino and it installs correctly, but the gauges are not working correctly. I have searched for articles or instructions on how to retrofit this application but they do not exist. Someone told me I need some type of unique Chevy filter to make the tach work. Others suggest I may need to add a ballast resistor to get the amp meter to work. The gas gauge is not reading correctly. I have some lights that stay on when the light switch is off. Seems like a nightmare. Do you have any resources for this conversion? It is done commonly, so somebody must know how to get everything working right.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 1 year ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

did you replace the sender units for the oil pressure and the temp sender. the lights and gauage senders are different.

as far as the tach, there should be a wire hooked up to the distributor in the tach port that will lead to the cluster. is there a wire in the cap for the tach???

Roy

how are you making out??