Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  ..................
14892859

, 19 64 impala i changed over to dual master and power

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 19 64 impala i changed over to dual master and power booster new brake lines new shoses and new drums in the freeway when braking the car pulls to the right
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Classic Car Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

The reason it is pulling to the right when braking is because one of the brakes on the left side is not working.

Jack up the left side, placing the jack under the frame about 1/2 way back so you can jack up both the left front wheel and the left rear wheel and push the brake pedal down about 1/2 way and then place a stick on the brake pedal and put the other end of the stick on the seat and adjust the seat forward to hold pressure on the brake pedal.

Then go to the left front and rear tires and see if you can spin both by hand. The one that you can spin is the one that isn't working.

If the brake warning light comes on when you press the brake pedal down, look for a brake fluid leak to the wheel that don't work or a leaking wheel cylinder, etc.

If the light isn't coming on, check for a seized caliper or wheel cylinder and all the parts of the specific brake that isn't working.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no your wrong i told you everything is new drums,pads,brake lines,master cylinder, power booster,all 4 brakes work
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

You never said you installed new pads, calipers, brake hose.

I am not going to argue with you but show me where you said you installed new pads, calipers.

Did you place a stick on the brake pedal like I asked?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

If the vehicle pulls to the right while not braking, then it's most likely a front end being out of alignment or the tracking is off, like when the rear end is loose, which brings me to my next question, if when accelerating hard if the vehicle now pulls to the left, then the rear end is most likely loose or if it has leaf springs the center pin that holds the leaf springs to the axle is broken on either side.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
everything is new except the brake peddle.seems to brake ok on the streets but pulls to right when braking in the freeway going 60 miles an hour.i went from single to dual master cylinder all 4 drums also you have to barley touch the brake peddle to slow down.if i push the peddle a lil hard it stop very fast and pulls to the right
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

If it's 4 drums then thee are no pads.

In what order/sequence did you bleed the wheel cylinders?

Also if the adjustments on the shoes are not the same from side to side, it might cause pulling while braking also.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Also, which part of the master cylinder do you have going to which wheels, such as the front and rear of the master cylinder. Does the front 1/2 of the master cylinder go to the front wheels or rear wheels? And visa versa, does the rear 1/2 of the master cylinder go to the front or rear wheels?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
front 1/2 goes to front brakes
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
your not telling me anything i dont already no
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

You never told me yet if you placed a stick on the brake and checked them or not. I asked you like 3 times.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Plus you never answered In what order/sequence did you bleed the wheel cylinders?

I cannot tell you what is wrong if you don't tell me everything I need to know in order to help diagnose it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i told you all 4 brakes work they are all new and i bleed from the back passenger to back driver ect. i no all that i think the problem is going from singel to duel master cylinder
Expert:  Classic Car Service replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds a lot like a problem I had in the shop several years ago. The customer came in with brake issues. He had a new master cylinder and other parts installed. The brakes would lock up in the fornt when he applied the brakes. It turns out that the rod, that connects the master cylinder to the brake pedal, was too long. This causes the master cylinder piston to be pre-loaded. (ie the brakes are 'on' with no pressure on the pedal. This would explain why your brakes it slams to a stop. My recommendation on this: I would look to see if there is any adjustment on the master cylinder pushrod. It may be too long.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer