Mike S.
Mike S., Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  A.S.E. certified with 25+ years experience.
20625509

Bob, My name is ***** *****. I need a wiring diagram 7

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Bob, My name is ***** *****. I need a wiring diagram for a 7 terminal neutral safety switch (column shift) for my 69 El Camino. It was previously re-wired with an EZ harness kit but the switch was never word in.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The switch was bypassed so the car starts in every gear. I recently added backup lights and need to wire this switch in
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure thing. Do you need my email address? Also, I am new to this site. How do I pay?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Classic Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When can I expect an answer?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I was offline, sorry you have had to wait. Let's see what I can find.

Here is the wiring diagram from Mitchell,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

And here are the 2 from Chilton,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Pink or purple wire, flasher

light green wire, backup lights

purple wire, starter solenoid

purple/white wire, ignition switch

What other color wires do you have?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

You need the plug that plugs into that switch or at least be able to look at ne to see what wires go where.

You asked for a wiring diagram. You should have explained what you need and that a wiring diagram is no good because you already had them

Do you have a manual trans, if so this should work, http://www.bobschevelleparts.com/1969-1973-neutral-safety-switch-harness-manual-transmission.html

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Where did you go? I was trying to help you figure this out and you just disappear.

If it were me and you had no harness, I would attempt to figure out with an ohmmeter how that switch works. I would assume and big connections would be for the power and the starter solenoid purple wire, plus I would think that if you imagine the switch installed and pull the lever all the way toward you like you are shifting into park, there would be continuity with the ohmmeter between the power (big) connection and the other big connection that would go to the starter solenoid. There would also be continuity between that power connection and 2 clicks down from park, where neutral would be. Although, it's probably the same connection. Then you have to figure out which is for the reverse lights, so place the switch on the next position from park.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention that it is an automatic transmission and there is no original connector to the switch because it was removed by the previous owner.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I would attempt to figure out with an ohmmeter how that switch works

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Figure it out?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.