K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  AA in Auto Tech, Classic car restorer and enthusiast
68360881

I have several late 60s chevy pickups the steering is losse

Customer Question

I have several late 60s chevy pickups the steering is losse so was thinking of adding power steering to update and solve this at the same time is there easy ways of doing this?
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, there are complete kits available as well as buying individual pieces for the later models and retrofitting them. The kits offer alot in the sake of simplicity and not having to chase parts but do cost more. Which would you be more interested in knowing about?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have quite a few parts so maybe would try getting power steering unit and go that route
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are no changes necesary on existing steering column it just connects to the pump instead.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this was my 25 dollar answer hmmmmm
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

No chabges on the existing column other than the rag joint. You'll need to get the matching pit man arm for the box and on pre 68 models you have to space the gear box off from the frame for proper clearance/geometry.

I apologize if you thought my first question would be all the help you got for your money, I just wanted to know which direction you'd like to go in before I went further concerning it. I've done many of these so if there's any problems you might have while doing it or other questions you can reply back at any time for free follow ups concerning this issue. You're 100% satisfaction with the knowledge and help I provide is my goal.

I use alot of the stuff available from Classic Perforance Products. I'll post a link to their web page and an install article below. If I can help in any way just let me know.

http://www.classicperform.com/tech_articles/now-steer-this/now-steer-this.htm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks will do some shopping and scrounging for parts
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

The pump, gear, lines from 68-72 will all interchange. The pitman arms from 70-72 will often not due to the diameter of the stud.

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, I'm glad I could help.