Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

My first question had to do with the fact that each time we

Customer Question

Brian good evening My first question had to do with the fact that each time we timed the 1967 ford mustang after a while it jumps back out of timing Your first advice was to check the gear and pin at the bottom of the distributor - This has been done and
all is OK there I my further review of the problem I understand that the Neutral safety Switch was tampered with when the person working on the car could not get ignition they placed a direct connection to provide ignition and from that point on the out of
timing jump started to occur and also the ignition goes to zero - no juice - Can you enlighten me on this what to look at after this process took place and cutting out ignition
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

I would first replace the neutral safety switch and hook it back up correctly. Hopefully that will resolve this problem since it was not an issue before that. I am not sure what they could have done to cause ignition timing problems with the bypass of that switch but obviously they did something. I hope they cut the wires on the old switch, and bypassed it with the connectors still intact? That way it's as simple as getting a new switch and plugging it in. If you need wiring information let me know. my software does not go that far back, but I am sure I can locate the information for you to re wire the new switch if they cut off the connectors on the car side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian
I will discuss this with the owner of the car and see what - In the mean time they have changed the Switch but are not yet starting the car - I believe the problem they have with the situation is when the car starts and there after cuts of is because there is no electricity noticeable at the distributor so what happens is that the plugs do not get sparks - The also change two condensers because these were burnt in the process of starting up the car - In my humble opinion the electrical provision has a problem - Can you think of anything which can be causing this problem

No spark? Ok, lets start at the coil. Is there power on the battery side of the coil? Do you have access to a spark tester? If so have you checked for spark between the coil and the distributor cap? Is this the old points distributor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will get back to you on this shortly

alright. No rush. Ill be around.