Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

In Gulf Shores, AL I have restored a 1969 Auto Shift VW

Customer Question

Hello, I am Norm in Gulf Shores, AL
I have restored a 1969 Auto Shift VW Beetle, 1500cc. My problem is it shifts hard into 1, 2, and low range (if the shift stick is played with eventfully it may go). The transmission only grinds while trying for reverse and will not go (not forcing because damage will result). I have a shop manual and have followed it for each transmission sequence. I am at wits end - - - - - - - - -
Here is what I have done:
Clean and adjust the gear shift contact.
Adjusted clearance on the servo - 4MM on rod to servo side. 6.5MM on rod pin side.
The servo diaphragm is good. Hose connected, cannot pull. Hose disconnected I can.
Installed new and correct vacuum lines to the control valve as per the shop manual.
There are three - from firewall out 1st to servo, 2nd to vacuum tank, third to manifold.
Connect wires from shift stick and coil correctly to control valve solenoid. When stick is moved to go into any gear it operates as it is intended to (clicks).
Connect vacuum line from carburetor center port vacuum to control valve.
Replace all new and correct ATF lines from oil pump to transmission valve to reservoir
as per shop manual.
Using Dextron ATF fluid.
The vehicle is on stands and I place the foot brake on while trying to shift. If it goes into drive, it runs great and the wheels spin the proper speeds for each range.
So, this is my story and I am sticking to it. Did I forget to do anything? Or, do you know what else I can do?
Thank you and Semper Fi
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

One thing you might want to check here is to make sure you have good vacuum from the carb. itself as carbon build up can occur in some cases in the carb. and can plug up vacuum ports and cause issues.I would check and make sure your vacuum is all o.k.If found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well Pete, no offense to you but as I explained I have done and checked everything I wrote and of course, the proper vacuum
is correct. I am attempting to find a problem to repair other than what I have already completed. No guessing or rechecking that is the reason I paid 38.00 to get an answer.Thank you.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize as this is the only info I have on this here myself.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete - Just Answer did not tell me someone needed to look at the vehicle. They said someone would give advise as to the repair. Everything I wrote in my original correspondence has been done. Not included , but it was also done was to exchange the control valve and that made no difference either. I paid 38.00 for an answer - not a run around the bush. Please help or have someone who knows! Thanks.