Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  ..................
14892859

Why does my 1970 amc javelin 360 sst start dying when it

Customer Question

why does my 1970 amc javelin 360 sst start dying when it idles to long?
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Classic Car Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. There are a lot of different things that can cause a loss of power/poor idle/stall after idling for an extended period of time. Without more information (do you have fuel in the carb, do you have spark at the plug wires), no vacuum leaks, and assuming the electrical system (distributor/wires/plugs, etc) are all good and working properly, it would be hard to say exactly what. Based on experience, I would be thinking the ignition coil is the problem, but I would not just go and replace it. If you do not have spark after it dies, then replace the coil.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine starts and runs like a top but when for example I am waiting at a long stop light the motor will start loading up and then start dying out. Once i get it running again and moving down the road it seems to run fine again.

Thank you. That helps me a lot better. You have a Power valve in the base of the carb that is leaking.

We have changed many of these over the years; a very common failure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not familiar with a carb Power valve?

It functions sort of like an accelerator pump. It is mounted to the bottom (underside) of the carb, You need to take the carb off to see it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I replace it my self and can it be purchased seperately or is part of a carb kit?

You can replace it yourself; but you have to take the carb completely off. This will require a new carb base gasket. Some kits have the valve, some do not. Depends on the kit. When you take it off, if gasoline leaks out of the bottom, the valve is definitely bad.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer