Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I just purchased a 1972 Grand Prix. When loading onto a

Customer Question

I just purchased a 1972 Grand Prix. When loading onto a trailer they turned the wheels with out starting the motor-power steering. When I got it the car the steering wheel has about 1 1/5 in. of play in it. Up and down, side to side. Steering is still tight to the front wheels. Floppy says HELP
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Does your car have a tilt steering column?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

The problem is common and is due to the bolts that hold the tilt mechanism loosening up. It can be fixed in a couple hours time with some basic tools. The steel plate you are looking at under the wheel is the steering lock plate. It takes a special tool to depress the plate so the lock ring at the center can be removed. Your local auto parts store will have this tool, most will loan it out as part of their tool loaner program. Click on the link below for a comprehensive view of the repair procedure as well as the tools used to complete the job. This one shows an El Camino, but all GM tilt columns are basically the same.

Tilt Column Repair

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** help a lot
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome.

Dave

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dave answered my questions courteously quickly and I hope accurately. I haven't yet had time to follow his directions but from reading them I'm sure it'll work out fine. Once again I'd like to thank you all.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to rate my service today. Thank you for the positive feedback.

Dave

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Once again, you are very welcome.

Dave

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read your messages I have downloaded the fixes, I have repaired the problem temporarily. I have ordered the new bearing and one set new bearing is installed will be up and running again. I have sent twice my satisfaction statement to your services and received about 10 emails. What more do you want me to do.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update. I am sorry about the emails. Those are automatically generated by the website and unfortunately I have absolutely no control over them. Please just ignore them. We (experts) used to be able to do the follow up emails ourselves to customers but now they let the computer do it. I apologize for the nuisance.