Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

Just bought a 58 chevy apache but it does not have the

Customer Question

Just bought a 58 chevy apache but it does not have the original motor. Trying to figure out what is in the truck at the moment. Casting#(###) ###-#### ***** engine codeF1107TA can not figure out what the TA means on a inline 6
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background,and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.

The casting number(###) ###-####was used between 62, and 78. Searching all those years there is no TA listed for suffix codes. Can you recheck the suffix code at the end of the number. It is possible that it was a replacement engine, they use unique suffix codes not published. The beginning of F1107TA, the F is the Tonawanda engine plant, 11 is for November, and 07 is the 7th day of the month. Recheck the suffix and let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I already found the information about the block, plant and date. I double checked the suffix and the TA is correct. During lunch I went to my local Chevrolet dealer and the parts manager was able to find the TA suffix for a inline 6.The engine is a 250 truck engine produced between 1965-1968 with a 3 speed manual transmission.
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

I sent an email off to GM Heritage Center asking about the TA code when I couldn’t find it listed. I just heard back from GM Heritage center and they say that TA suffix code is from a C or K series truck, it is a 250CI engine, and came with a manual transmission.They also said it would be a 67 or 68 model engine. With the info you got and this info it is safe to say we know what it is now. Go overall of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.