cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  was a mechanic in the army for four years and have been working at a dealer ship the past five years
74954164

1966 Cadillac Deville with 429 ci in it. All original, never

Customer Question

Hi. 1966 Cadillac Deville with 429 ci in it. All original, never modified. Car has generally run fine but recently, upon acceleration, motor tends to run much less smoothly - it is hard to describe but it is as if it has a consistent sputter. Not like it is going to stall, but a steady deep fluttering - instead of a smooth growl of acceleration. There is vibration that goes along with it. Sometimes after driving a while it will go away. But it is always there from startup until it gets warm. I know this isn't specific but hoping I get some feedback regarding what to check. Thanks.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

have you tried cleaning the carburetor it sounds like it may be stopped up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not an expert, but looks clean to me - see photos attached
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

yeah it looks pretty clean

Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

have you checked for vacuum leak

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will find a diagram of vacuum lines and check them all and test drive early this week and report back.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

just let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used the carb cleaner method, spraying vacuum hoses and connections to listen for a change in engine idle, but did not detect any. The idle is and has been smooth, it is only when accelerating that i feel vibration. In the past acceleration was smoother. Any ideas?