Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I had the generator 1951 dodge truck rebuilt and installed

Customer Question

I had the generator for my 1951 dodge truck rebuilt and installed it. Before hooking up any wires I'm not getting any voltage off the terminals
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

On most alternator/generators you need the wires connected to excite or power up the generator for it to produce voltage.If you are checking voltage with no wiring connected this may be why this is occuring here.If you can connect the wiring to it and see if you have voltage then.If this still does not work and you have no voltage I would speak with the facility that rebuilt it and see if they can re check their rebuild to see if this is an issue that was caused by them.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.