Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  Heavy Line Mech-, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.
1609972

Trying to help my son who has been told the engine in s 68

Customer Question

Trying to help my son who has been told the engine in his 68 Chevelle has lost compression in all cylinders. I had this engine rebuilt by a corvette speed shop 25 years ago (40,000 miles now) with a 3/4 cam, keith black pistons, b&b. Wanted the car I couldn't afford as a kid! I don't respect what my son tells me about the shop he has taken it too. They say 2 choices: rebuild or crate motor. I suspect BS. What should he look for to determine if it is a specific problem or it's just warn out. Could all the rings go at once?
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 1 year ago.

.

sorry for the delay............
.
Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (aka MOLurch) and I look forward to helping you!”
.
1) perform a compression test yourself on ALL cylinders wet & dry.......not that hard to do
2) does the Distributor Rotor turn when cranking......If not, cam or Timing Chain is broken or bad, leaving a number of Valves open, which would cause no compression
3) if you are unable to do the above, have a "reputable" shop do it for you & this will give you a second opinion
It is highly unlikely that ALL cylinders have NO compression

.
IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.
.
Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A.
.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
.
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service
.
.