Ron, Classic Car Technician
Experience:  35 yrs. experience as an automotive technician.
7276279

1959 pontiac 389ci new plugs new wires new points condencer

Customer Question

1959 pontiac 389ci new plugs new wires new points condencer cap rotor . Timing 6deg . Dwel 30 . Compression on all cyl 145-160 good spark on #4 cyl I remove that wire and no change to idle . Remove wire from others big change . Im stumped
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you are sure you have good spark the the #4 cylinder and good cranking compression the the next step would be to do a running compression test on this cylinder and compare it with the two cylinder next to it. If after doing so and the cylinder dose not read the same as the other two then you are likely looking at a valve guide concern. See the steps in the link below for running the running compression test, disregard step 4 because you have a Carb engine. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Running%20compression%20test%20Oct%2018.pdf