George H.
George H., Technician
Experience:  Old enough to have worked on them when they were new
13574682

I have a 1968 EL Camino, with a 305 engine. and 350

Customer Question

I have a 1968 EL Camino, with a 305 engine. and 350 transmission. I want to install a stock 1977, 454 chevy engine with it's 400 transmission. What will I need to change to do it?
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Transmission mount cross member, re route the fuel line and replace the engine mounts.

You will want to change the front springs to carry the extra weight you are putting on the front end and will need to have a driveshaft made to fit the longer trans.

Please let me know how I can help you with your questions

Thank you

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

You will need to adapt some headers to clear the steering and add better cooling with a bigger radiator. This is not a hard swap but somethings will have to be altered to get everything to fit. The aftermarket has the mounts and a cross member if you don't have one from the donor vehicle. The holes should be in the frame.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Exactly what my Chevy Mechanic told me, just wanted a second opinion before we got started. Thank's, Mike
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

If you get the old Car-craft issues they have done a few of these. I did one and if I had the choice today I would be putting an injected LS in this to have the fuel injection and a 700r4 to have the overdrive. You will be happier unless you want to go fast in a straight line. The LS3 6.0 will make at least 100hp more than the '77 454 will in stock trim and they are not that expensive. You have a cool '68 Elco it deserves an engine to match.

Please let me know if you have further questions

Thank you