George H.
George H., Technician
Experience:  Old enough to have worked on them when they were new
13574682

Back in july I asked about taking out turbo 400 out of my

Customer Question

back in july I asked about taking out turbo 400 out of my 1968 gto and puting in 700r4 had to use adaptor plate , do i have to try to level intake for carb.not sure if intake was level befor I stared if i level intake, drive shaft dropes way down the tail
shaft of trans is down about 1and half inches from where the 400 trans was I know about drive shaft and cross menber for trans but if i drop trans down that much my angle for drive shaft does not look right is the level of the intake that important the motor
and intake are original***@******.***
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, first you will need to maintain a driveshaft angle of about 2 degrees with the pinion up and the tailshaft down so they are parallel or you will have vibration. You do not want to have it at 0 degrees but no more than 2 degrees and the angles have to be equal.

The carb can run at quite an angle, think about going up and down hills, you just have to adjust the float so there is headroom in the bowl and the fuel is not sloshing out the vents.

Please let me know how I can help you with this but get the shaft angles right and work from there

Thank you