sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 61 falcon I bought that has a 1980 electronic

Customer Question

hi I have a 61 falcon I bought that has a 1980 electronic distributor with 4 wires coming out 5 inches long, in a 1990 ford 302 boss motor, any ideas how to hook-up to run. thanks eddie.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The 1980 engine used a standalone ignition module which received input from the pickup coil in the distributor and then controlled the coil. Do you have the ignition module and wiring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the module is on the fender wall, but no harness, and just cut wires from the distributor, do i have to purchase a harness or what.

Yes, you'd need to either find a harness from the vehicle the system came out of or make your own. It would be easier to purchase and install a harness if you were able to find one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a way to wire it without a harness and how and where do the wires go?

You could wire it yourself. I can help but I'd need to know exactly what application the electronics came from.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me get back to you in a few days, is it an option to drop in a older point distributor?

Yes, an older distributor can be used if you don't want to deal with wiring the electronic ignition.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand how a module, distributor and pu coil works, I need to know how these wires are connected to each other to make the car run. Now the module and distributor are from a 1980 F150 ford pick-up. The distributor has 3 wires purple, orange, & black. The module has 2 pigtail harnesses, 1 harness has 2 wires, white and brown. the 2nd harness has 4 wires, orange-yellow striped, black, green-yellow striped, and blue. If you can answer this I will submit a rating. thanks.

I'm able to go back to 1982 and the colors on the module don't match.

The two wire connector at the module is the power feeds, white in start and red in start/run.

Are you able to upload a picture of the connectors on the other module connector showing the terminal/color arrangement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try tomorrow to take pictures, but I might be off on my colors, like the orange could be red & purple could be blue. so far I am pleased on your info on the 2 wires. thanks.

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had no time today to take pictures, so is there any way you can go back to a 1980 schematic to check on the wire colors i sent you?

The furthest I will be able to go is 1982. Since you're questioning the wire colors yourself there may not actually be a difference in color, what matters in any event is the terminal layout in the connectors and that's why I was hoping for pictures.