Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

1966 mustang, 289, 2 bl., C-4 auto. with Petronics pick up

Customer Question

1966 mustang, 289, 2 bl., C-4 auto. with Petronics pick up replacing the points. It vibrates around 2000 to 2800 RPM. The engine builder says he balanced it while rebuilding. Of the following, which, in desending order, would most likely be the problem: distributor, spark plugs and/or wires, advance, balancer is new but a cheap one, motor mounts, unbalanced trany. Thank you.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I would start with having the engine and transmission mounts checked for any issues needing repaired or replaced.If these are o.k. the balancer itself may be the cause as these can fail and need replaced.If these are all o.k. then move to any misfire issues due to plugs or wires or internal distributor fault and if these are o.k. I suspect an internal mechanical balance fault needing re checked and corrected.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.