Ron, Classic Car Technician
Experience:  35 yrs. experience as an automotive technician.
7276279

My 74 torino has an upgraded alternator and wiring to it

Customer Question

My 74 torino has an upgraded alternator and wiring to it with an online fuse. It blows the fuse and then the car will turnover but not start and when the key turns off the carbon farts. That's the best way I van describe it. My mechanic can't find and puts bigger dudes but that is only temporary solution
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I assume you are saying the added fuse for the charging system blows when you try to start the car, if that correct , what happens if you unplug the alternator and try starting and running the car. Dose the fuse then hold?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the car will start blow fuse then will turn over won't start and when you turn key to off the carbon farts that's the best way I can describe it
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me which fuse its blowing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's an inline fuse on fender to alternater I think
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Dose it blow if you unplug the alternator? if so then you may have an internal shorting alternator.