Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
19871424

1974 911s. How does the rear window drain system work? How

Customer Question

1974 911s. How does the rear window drain system work? How does one clear clogged drains.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

do you know if the rear glass and body are original or if they were modified as well.

Also, if you have the vin number handy, it would help in having the last 8 digits of the vin to pull up factory diagrams and directions for cleaning the drains

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric- The VIN #(###) ###-#### ***** rear window has not been modified and the drain holes are in both lower corners as I remember when the car was being refinished. There was a little rust and the body shop said they repaired it and cleared the drains. Afterwards the inner wheel wells were caulked and undercoated. I'm wondering if something may have been plugged up since I now have this bubbling under the paint between the drip rail and the rear window rubber seal on both sides. I have not taken anything apart yet. I want to know where these drain holes go so I can fix any problem that may have to do with the drains. When stripping down the body there were indications that it was an experimental test car because of a lot of holes and patch plates. There are also parts of the body that do not seem to be production as well as the cooling system. I have owned this car for about 25 yrs. I have been told it may be an undocumented prototype. I'm sending a photo before the problem started. Let me know that you receive it. thanks. - Alex
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, give me an hour or so to do some research on this one and post back to you then

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Eric- Do you have an answer for me yet? How does that rear window drain system work?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

sorry, I am not having any luck with this and will opt out to see if another expert can help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric has opted out with no answer. Does anyone have an answer to my inquiry?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

please go to the below link. this is the body repair manual for your vehicle !!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CDwQFjAFahUKEwimuNP9q6nIAhXCPj4KHQ20CCs&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.renntech.info%2FSharedData%2FManuals%2F911%2F911%25201972-1983%2520Workshop%2520manual%2520Deel%25208%2520Carrosserie.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEoVzr4rA1Ys7Yq2Nuvhv4I8Mdocg&sig2=vgkBq_2SG-4pRKT_d5F5qg

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

So please rate me above!!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Wolfgang- Thanks for your effort, but I have already read through the online repair manual you referenced. I read through it again just to make sure I did not miss anything. My question still is the drain holes at the bottom corners of the rear window seal seat. They are under the rubber weather seal when the rear coupe window is installed. They are designed to drain any water that seeps through the weather seal. Where do they drain to? I have paint bubbling up in that area and I want to understand the drain system before I take it apart. The car is usually garaged, but this past winter, I remodeled my garage and it was outside in the weather for a time. Now the paint is starting to bubble. I suspect clogged drains, but I want to understand the system before I start taking things apart. Thanks for any help. - Alex
p.s. You have read my email chain starting with Eric?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wolfgang- I can't rate you yet. You have not responded to my previous email.
Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still waiting for a response.