Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons mechanical engineering 20 years repairing my own cars and others, 8 yrs in formula 1 engin
12772297

I want to release the rear brakes

Customer Question

i want to release the rear brakes
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

there's an adjuster you have to wind off inside the drum to back the shoes off and allow you to remove the brake drum

remove the access rubber grommet and wind the adjuster wheel all the way back inside of the brake assembly

There should also be a threaded hole or two on the face of the drum to fit a bolt that will push on the axle. find the corect metric bolt put grease on the thread and tighten a bit and hit the drum with a hammer where it backs on to the axle

keep tightening the screw and tapping the drum and it should eventuallly wind off

its a good idea to pop the wheel nuts back on during this process to avoid damaging the threads

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.